Friday, May 20, 2011

Kentucky Derby Pie

Today is a big day for me.

Today is my last day at my current job. A job I've been with for nearly four years. My first job out of college. My first taste of the real world.

While I am happy that I am embarking on a new journey on Monday, I can't help but feel a little sad that I am leaving a job and coworkers who have been a huge part of the last four years.

I am so thrilled that I got to work here while I did, and I am very thankful for the opportunities that this job has provided me. But, I am ready to take a leap of faith, and pave myself new path in a different direction. I am going to enjoy the journey, and I look forward to see where this decision will eventually take me.

And thank you, too, to all of you who have shown your support during this time. The decision-making process has not been an easy one, but sticking with my guns and following through with this has been so much easier knowing I have my friends and family backing me up.

You all are the best. The cat's meow. The bee's knees.


So how about we focus now on something sweet, tasty, and delicious?

There are quite a few people who have yet heard of the wonderful dessert called the Kentucky Derby Pie. I liken it would be similar to the love-child of a pecan pie and a chocolate chip cookie (though some people think the pie should have walnuts, I grew up with pecans, so I'm sticking with my guns here).


When I made desserts for the National Food Blogger's Bake sale, I wanted to make things that traveled easily, and tasted delicious. The fact that these mini-pies were absolutely cheek-pinchingly adorable was just an added bonus.


The only thing missing from the mini pies that I wish I could have found a way to package was the bourbon whipped cream that my family makes to serve the pie with. Essentially you whip up one cup of heaving whipping cream with one tablespoon of powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons (or one tablespoon if you're feeling rather daring!) of bourbon.

Nothing like a little bit of bourbon to cure what ails ya.



Kentucky Derby Pie
From our Family Recipe Box
Makes 1 - 9-inch pie or about 30 mini pies

Ingredients:


1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup pecans or 3/4 cup walnuts
9 inch unbaked pie crust

Directions

Line pie plate with pie crust.

Combine all remaining ingredients and mix with fork, whisk or hand mixer until well blended..

Bake in pie crust at 350 for 45 minutes, or until brown on top! (the mini pies baked in about 25 minutes)

4 comments:

ASH said...

good luck! so happy for you to start on a new journey! i bet your students will love you as their teacher since you'll probably bake for them ;)

Meg Luby said...

wow. this looks amazing, kentucky derby pie looks amazing! thanks for sharing! i adore this :)
-meg
@ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

Rachel M. said...

Hey Caddie! After drooling over this recipe I had to try it, but I'm not sure where I went wrong. I followed your instructions exactly, but my whipped cream came out liquid...Suggestions?

Caroline said...

ASK - Thank you! I'm really excited - and always happy to have people to bake for!!

Meaghan - I'm glad you like it! It's a deliciously different pie for people that aren't from the south. It's one of my faves!

Rach - I'm so sorry to hear that the didn't work out as planned. I always use a hand or stand mixer, because it whips up a lot faster that way (but it still takes 5+minutes). Start slow, (and you could possibly use granulated sugar too, if you wanted) and once the cream starts to thicken, you can increase the speed. Keep going until soft peaks form. I've read that using ultra-pasteurized cream can be harder to whip, and it's one of those 'make it when you want to use it' things. It will lose volume as it sits. But you can always rewhip it again. The higher the butterfat, the easier it is to whip, too. So I'm not sure exactly what happened, but maybe some of the tips will help! Did the pie turn out for you??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...