Thursday, December 23, 2010

Chocolate-Peppermint Fudge

Even the most die-hard Christmas cookie fanatics can use a change of pace at times.

This fudge is a rendition of my family’s recipe for Mamie’s Million Dollar Fudge. I’ve looked up several recipes online and all of them are different, so I can only speak of the specific recipe I got from my mom’s recipe stash. I love plain chocolate fudge, but in the spirit of the holidays (and the lack of any other peppermint treats in my baking menu) I wanted to add a peppermint twist to it as well. So instead of making one 13 x 9 inch pan of all chocolate, I made two 8x8 pans of fudge, one plain chocolate, and one peppermint-chocolate. Other than that, I kept the recipe the same.

There are two and three-quarters pounds of chocolate in this fudge. This recipe is not for the faint of heart. I thought that I for sure had written it down wrong, so I started looking up recipes online. The next closest recipe had more sugar and only 24 ounces of chocolate. I finally emailed my mom to make sure I transcribed the recipe correctly and, sure enough, I had.

I’m sure you’ll figure out why this produces such a large batch. Even a big batch doesn’t last long! Creamy, soft, smooth and decadent; everything you want out of a good piece of fudge. I always thought that using evaporated milk and marshmallow fluff was cheating – along the lines of using boxed cake mix and canned icing - and that I’d never make fudge that way. Man, did I ever get knocked off my high horse.

This mouth-watering fudge is fantastic, and I don’t have to worry about spending all the time making it, only to have it become grainy at the end. I may try making my other ‘real’ fudge recipes again just to see if I can ever get it as smooth and creamy as this recipe, but the bar has been set pretty high. I now have a recipe I can turn to when I just want a perfect piece of fudge with minimal effort. How can you beat that?

Now please excuse me while I eat a piece of humble pie fudge.

And another.

And another.

Curious about what I’ve made already? Check out:
White Trash
Quick Mix Spritz Cookies
Peppermint Icicle Candy
Peppermint Icicle Candy
Peppermint Icicle Candy
Spiced Pecans and Pralines
Fresh orange Spritz Cookies
Fruitcake
Ginger Molasses Cookies
Paper-Thin Sugar Cookies


Mamie Eisenhower Fudge
Family Recipe

4 c Granulated sugar
Dash Salt
2 Tbsp butter
1 14 oz Can Evaporated Milk
32 oz Packages semi-sweet chocolate chips
3 pkgs (4 oz each) German Sweet chocolate bars
1 pint (2 c) marshmallow fluff
2 teaspoons peppermint flavoring (or divide into two batches and do 1 tsp peppermint in one batch and one tsp vanilla in the other)

Boil together sugar, salt butter and evaporated milk for 6 minutes. In large bowl combine chocolate chips and marshmallow fluff. Pour boiling syrup over mixture. Beat with electric mixer by hand until well blended. Pour immediately into greased 9 x 13 pan and allow to stand for 2 hours before cutting. 

2 comments:

Cakebrain said...

Looks so good! I hate grainy fudge...it's nice to know there's a recipe you can rely on! Thanks for sharing
Merry Christmas!

Caroline said...

This one was such a great recipe, so glad to share! Merry christmas!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...