Thursday, March 10, 2011

For the Dogs

With all the baking and cooking that goes on in the kitchen, it didn’t take Cody long to figure out that if he sits patiently next to me as I prepare food, he will most likely get a scrap or two. While we are still working on some manners, he is learning that, in the kitchen at least, he will be rewarded (albeit unintentionally) for sitting quietly while the hubby or I work.


I’ve seen many recipes for making dog treats at home, and was really curious how Cody would like them. Then I realized – what’s not to like? Cheese, beef flavor...all his favorite things in one bite.


I used my mini cookie cutters I got this year for Christmas and I have to say these are some of the cutest doggie treats I’ve seen! Cody gets to eat elephants, pigs, frogs and crabs. This recipe makes a lot of cookies; I had enough for Cody for a good long time, as well as enough to give away to two friends who have puppies of their own.


For the record, I tried one of them too and, while they aren’t terrible, I think I’ll let Cody keep these for himself!


Dog Treats

Ingredients
1 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup margarine
1 cup boiling water
3/4 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons white sugar
2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
1/2 cup milk
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten
3 cups whole wheat flour

Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, margarine, and boiling water. Let stand 10 minutes. Grease cookie sheets.

Thoroughly stir in cornmeal, sugar, bouillon, milk, Cheddar cheese, and egg. Mix in flour, 1 cup at a time, until a stiff dough has formed.

Knead dough on a lightly floured surface (I just kneaded with the hook attachment in my KitchenAid), mixing in additional flour as necessary until dough is smooth and no longer sticky. Roll or pat out dough to 1/2″ thickness. Cut with cookie cutter and place 1 inch apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.

Bake 35 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Cool before serving. Store in a loosely covered container.

2 comments:

oneordinaryday said...

So funny, because I have a dog biscuit recipe on hold to make with the kids. : ) I love that you put his name on it!!

Caroline said...

The dog went nuts over these, he's only got two left. It's funny I put his name on it, though... I think he believes that everything in our house has his name on it. We're still working on that. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...