Thursday, October 7, 2010

Indecisive Brownies

I am still very tentative when I try new recipes. As much as I love trying new things and experimenting with food, I also understand that there are people who know what they like, and what they don’t, and are very content being set in their ways. This makes me overthink things... a lot. I always want to make sure everyone has something they can enjoy.

Take brownies. Most people will say they enjoy brownies, unless they don’t like chocolate. They have their blondies, at least. But then of those who like brownies, there are those who like the fudgy ones, and those who like the cakey ones. Do you add chocolate chips, nuts or peanut butter cups, or leave them plain? What about cheesecake-topped brownies? Do they stray too far from a ‘normal brownie?’

Yes, I think like that. That is why, the last time I made brownies for a group of people, I made half regular brownies and half cheesecake-topped. What I was not expecting, though, was that the cheesecake-topped brownies would fly out of the pan as quickly as they did. The regular brownies disappeared as well, but darn if the jazzed-up brownies went first.

There are so many things I want to try, and this might be the push to just go for it. While I will still always be sensitive to those with food allergies or if I am making something for someone who I know absolutely loathes a particular ingredient, I will be attempt to stop overthinking things and bake/cook food I know will taste good – in hopes that my friends and family can try something new and delicious.

Who knows, maybe they will discover a new favorite food?

Indecisive Brownies


4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
3 Tbsp sugar
1 egg white
Boxed brownie mix

Prepare the brownies as instructed on the box (I made my brownies fudgy). Spread into a 13 x 9 pan.
Mix together sugar, cream cheese and egg white until thoroughly combined.

Dollop mixture over half of the pan, and marble with a knife.

Bake following the directions on the box (my brownies baked for approximately 25 minutes)

Let cool completely before cutting.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...