Sunday, July 4, 2010

Festive 4th of July Cake

Happy Independence Day!


Want something easy and festive for the 4th of July? I made this last year for A good friend’s Independence Day party; heaven forbid I go to anything empty-handed. I was actually staying at my parents house for the weekend, and I didn’t want to make a huge mess in their kitchen, so this cake is a simple yellow boxed cake mix and a can of frosting (I didn't even hide the can for the picture!). I feel a little ashamed for admitting that. I don’t enjoy many of the vanilla canned frostings because they are way too sweet and taste artificial, but I will say that the fruit on top definitely made up for that. The acidity of the blueberries and strawberries cut through a lot of the sweetness and provided a nice balance of flavors.

You could easily make up your own scratch cake/frosting mix but, in a pinch, the other stuff works fine. And how cute is that? I really enjoyed decorating it, and being able to bring something celebratory.

Have a wonderful and safe Independence Day!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...